Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vanilla Lavender Cupcakes with Honey Frosting



I made these tasty little cakes last Sunday for Father's Day.  Since my dad is more of a vanilla guy, I decided to make a batch of my family's favorite vanilla cupcakes.

My dad recently bought me a new cupcake recipe book (I think it's his way of asking me to make more cupcakes!) with a bunch of recipes I have never made before.  The first recipe I decided to try from my new book was a honey lavender frosting.  It was absolutely delicious, and I will definitely make it again!

Thanks for reading!!

Vanilla Cupcakes (found here)

  • 1 3/4 C cake flour, not self-rising
  • 1 1/4 C unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 C sugar
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 C whole milk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp vanilla lavender sugar (purchased here)

  • 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.

  • 2. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. 

  • 3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.

  • 4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter. Once cupcakes have cooled, frost with honey lavender frosting.


 
Honey Frosting (found here)


1/2 C (1 stick) butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (1 package)
1/2 C honey
5-7 C powdered sugar
Fresh lavender
Vanilla lavender sugar (purchased here)

1. Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with a mixer until creamy.

2. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at a low speed until blended. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes until creamy. Makes 3 cups.


Lavender Brittle (found here)

Cooking spray
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C water
1 tsp lavender

1. Line a baking sheet with heavy-duty foil; coat with cooking spray.

Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently until sugar dissolves. Cook 4 minutes or until golden. (Do not stir). Remove from heat; carefully stir in lavender. Rapidly spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Cool completely; break into pieces. Makes 1/2 C.

3 comments:

  1. they look absolutely amazing, like professional standard! well done!

    following :)

    from helen at www.thelovecatsinc.com // @thelovecatsinc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try those cupcakes, they look so yummy!
    Nice blog, I like it!
    Im following :)
    I hope you can stop by:

    http://hippiechicpao.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, ladies! I will definitely follow both of you :)

    ReplyDelete